Thursday, April 16, 2009

Turnout Construction Lessons

Building my first 3 CVTs was a learning experience to say the least. I have a few tips that really made thing fall together more easily once I figured them out.

Use track gauges to hold the rail in alignment as you solder and use the NMRA track gauge to check clearances as you go. 




When bending the diverging stock rail there are 3 locations that are key to a good fit.
1. Kink the rail slightly just before the throw bar to get it going in the diverging direction.
2. After the kink the rail stays straight through the length of the points.
3. Begin the curve of the diverging route just after the point.




When it came time to solder the points to the throw bar I did not want to take a chance of soldering the throw bar to the stock rails as well. To prevent this, I wrap both stock rails with tape in the throw bar area before soldering. (photo only shows one rail taped for clarity)

I align the pints in the main route position, then put a PC tie between the diverging point and stock rail. This will give the right gap for the flange-way. Solder the points to the throw bar.
 
These were the biggest lessons I learned from my experience building the CVTs.

No comments: