Monday, October 27, 2008

Building Central Valley Model Works Turnouts: 1 Overview and Supplies

Please also see my updated building method at:

My layout uses Central Valley Model Works turnout kits. The CVMW line offers a wide selection of turnouts that go together and operate very reliably. The one thing I don't like about the kits is the use of a plastic turnout frog so I make my own frogs from rail and solder. My frog building techniques are taken from several turnout building methods and are by no means the only way to build frogs and turnouts but I find they work for me.

My example uses a code 70 #7 turnout kit; the rail lengths are for this kit only. You will have to adjust the lengths to fit your turnout kit size.




Materials Needed:
1 Turnout kit from CVMW
2 stock rails 12.5 inches long
2 frog rails 3 inches long
2 closure rails 6.25 inches long
Turnout template for the turnout you are building (available at: CVMW)
35 watt soldering iron
Solder and flux
NMRA track gauge
Track gauge of choice
Rail cutters
Files
32 teeth per inch hacksaw blade
Straight Edge
Super Glue
22 gauge hookup wire
Vice



No comments: